All applicants for admission to the SALPN membership as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or graduate practical nurse (GLPN) must meet the English language requirement set by the Council (Regulatory Bylaw 2(b)).
Applicants are considered to have met the English language proficiency requirement if they can answer “yes” to at least one of the following statements:
- I am currently licensed to practice as a nurse in another Canadian jurisdiction.
- I was previously registered/licensed as a nurse in another Canadian jurisdiction within the last 2 years.
- I worked as a regulated nurse within the last 2 years, and English was the primary language of the practice setting (SALPN may request employer verification).
- I completed a Canadian Practical Nurse Education Program in Canada, and the language of instruction, including the language used in clinical, was English.
- I completed a nursing education program outside of Canada where the instruction in theory and clinical was provided in English (SALPN may request verification from the school).
- I completed IELTS. Click here to view the acceptable scores.
- I completed CELBAN. Click here to view the acceptable scores.
Review the English Language Policy here.