Independent Practice (self-employment) is an area of Practice with the potential for increased risks to the public. Per section 21 of the SALPN Regulatory Bylaws, LPNs who operate their own business and provide private nursing services must register their Practice with the SALPN. Examples of Independent Practice include, but are not limited to:
- Private foot care services provided in a client’s home
- Private nursing services
- Owners/operators of a private care home
Initial Independent Practice Registration
Once you obtain additional Commercial General Liability Insurance and write your Policies and Procedures, you can begin your Independent Practice Registration. The application is available on your SALPN Member Portal and costs $100.
You must ensure the SALPN approves your Independent Practice application before you provide any services. Failure to register may be considered professional misconduct, and a complaint may be filed against you.
With your Practising licensure, the SALPN provides you with liability insurance through our broker, Lloyd Sadd. However, as an Independent Practitioner, you must obtain additional liability insurance in addition to what the SALPN already provides you annually. Lloyd Sadd offers additional coverage called, Commercial General Liability, to LPNs who are self-employed and you can find information about it here. You must ensure that your additional coverage is renewed each year.
Tips to Get Started
- Know the SALPN’s Independent Practice Guideline!
- If you will practice Advanced Foot Care independently, immerse yourself in the SALPN’s Foot Care Practice Guideline.
- Use the below list of potential policies and procedures!
- Ready to create your polices and procedures? Use the below template to get you on the right track! Yes, the template is Foot Care focused, but is a great jumping off point!
- Watch the below recordings.
MODULE 1 – INTRODUCTION TO POLICIES & PROCEDURES
MODULE 2 – BUILDING A POLICY & PROCEDURE – NOV. 8, 2021
MODULE 3 – MORE BUILDING! – NOV. 15, 2021
Presentation Recording – Please be advised the first ten minutes of the MODULE 3 presentation was not recorded.
If the video does not load, please click here to view the presentation!